“Can companies both do well and do good?” We’ve been answering that question “yes” for years; even publishing our financial and sustainability reports side by side. We’re pleased that a recent Harvard Business Review (HBR) article agreed, naming Eaton a “trendsetter” in creating shared value.
Only five percent of the 1,100 companies that HBR analyzed for its cover story (“The Best-Performing CEOs in the World,” January-February 2013) earned the same top ranking from the publication for having “delivered great financial performance year over year and performed strongly on social and environmental dimensions.” The authors of the article added: “It’s a rare achievement, indeed, but it is possible.”
While it feels great to be recognized, we also acknowledge that achieving sustainable growth is a continuous and demanding journey, not a destination. During 2012, we continued to make progress on that trek, improving our performance across five key measures (at right), which we evaluate when grading our own report card. Our dedication to delivering results across this spectrum of sustainability measures helped us to earn several other important distinctions during the year:
- Eaton is ranked among the world’s top sustainability performers in the Nasdaq OMX CRD Global Sustainability 100 Index.
- We were one of only 11 companies in the S&P 500 to be recognized as a top performer on both the Carbon Disclosure Project’s Carbon Disclosure Leadership Index and Carbon Performance Leadership Index.
- We were named one of Corporate Responsibility magazine’s 100 Best Corporate Citizens for the fifth consecutive year, moving from No. 33 to No. 17 overall.
- The Ethisphere Institute named us one of the World’s Most Ethical Companies for the sixth straight year. Eaton is one of only 24 companies that has earned the honor every year since the list was established in 2007.
- In China, we were recognized as one of the best corporate brands at the 2012 China Finance Summit for our dedicated efforts in sustainability and innovation.
- We were named among India’s Best Companies to Work For and one of the Best Employers in Puerto Rico by leading organizations.
- GI Jobs named Eaton one of the Top 100 Military Friendly Employers in the U.S. and the U.S. National Minority Supplier Development Council honored us for our long-term support of diverse supplier relationships.
ACHIEVING SUSTAINABLE GROWTH
Through the responsible use of resources, we aim to:
- Increase shareholder value through proactive governance and by providing safe, reliable, efficient and sustainable power management for our global customers.
- Improve the natural environment by reducing the environmental impact of our products and operations and the products of our customers.
- Expand transparency through reports like this one and by sharing our data and best practices through cooperative efforts such as the Carbon Disclosure Project.
- Foster a thriving workplace by protecting the health and safety of our employees, building teams of diverse talent, and inspiring and promoting top performers.
- Build stronger communities by investing our time and resources in local efforts that make everywhere we do business a better place to live and work.